Types of Liposuction in Charleston, SC
Liposuction is a cosmetic procedure aimed at removing excess fat from one or more problem areas on the body. Liposuction is a minimally invasive as well as safe and effective way to improve body contours. There are variations of the liposuction procedure which aim to provide more specified results than the traditional method. For those residents of Mt. Pleasant, Charleston, Summerville, and the surrounding South Carolina communities interested in learning more about liposuction recovery, Heidi Williams, M.D., is a board-certified, ASPS Plastic Surgeon, who specializes in all types of liposuction.
What is Traditional Liposuction?
Traditional liposuction is designed only to remove excess fat from an area of the body. In traditional liposuction procedures, a small incision is made near the targeted body area and a tiny tubule, called a cannula, is inserted just under the skin. Dr. Williams, who is a board-certified plastic surgeon, will gently move the tubule to carefully suction the excess fat from the targeted region of the body. The incision is then closed, and the results are visible immediately, but develop for weeks during the recovery process for maximum effect.
What are the Types of Liposuction Available?
In addition to traditional liposuction, new and advanced procedures offer more specific solutions for targeted problems. Additional liposuction procedures include:
- VASER® Liposuction: liposuction combines the traditional and tumescent liposuction technique with the benefits of advanced ultrasound technology. A specialized device with ultrasound energy breaks down fat in the targeted body area prior to removing it through the use of traditional liposuction techniques. In addition to the improved results of ultrasound assisted VASER® liposuction, additional more advanced techniques can be introduced, including:
VASER® Liposuction includes significant advantages over traditional liposuction or tumescent liposuction, including:
- Less blood loss and bruising
- Improved skin retraction due to less connective tissue damage
- The creation of the best fat for fat grafting and fat transfer
- Laser Liposuction: Laser liposuction like Smart Lipo uses specialized heat to target fat before removing it through a small incision. The laser device melts the fat before removing it using more traditional suctioning techniques but results in the destruction of the fat cell and some connective tissues as well as the inability to utilize fat for transfer..
- Tumescent Liposuction: Tumescent liposuction is a two-step process during the liposuction procedure. A tumescent fluid is injected into the fat to be removed and enlarges the fat deposit, making it easier for removal, and numbing the area for maximum comfort. The tumescent injection has additional advantages such as decreasing bleeding and bruising, as well.
- Liposculpture: Liposculpture techniques are quite advanced and will provide very visible results. Liposculpture is a process by which fat is removed from one area of the body and contours are enhanced through liposuction. Dr. Heidi Williams is one of very few board-certified plastic surgeons to be trained in VASER Hi-Def liposculpture and can discuss this technique and it’s benefits during your consultation.
- Non-Invasive Liposuction: Non-invasive liposuction does not involve the use of an incision or injection during the procedure. Using alternative methods of fat removal, such as controlled temperature devices or ultrasound technology, the fat is broken down by applying the device above the targeted area’s skin surface. While the CoolSculpting is the best known technology in this category, results may vary and it’s difficult to determine a given outcome.
Talking to Dr. Williams is the very best way to determine which types of liposuction can be most beneficial based on your own problem areas. Depending on the level or areas of concern, a specific type of liposuction may be recommended to provide the most effective, safe, and long-lasting results.
If you’re considering liposuction or have a desire to improve your own body contours, contact the office of board-certified, ASPS plastic surgeon Dr. Heidi Williams, M.D., today. Residents of Mt. Pleasant, Summerville, Charleston, and surrounding South Carolina communities can schedule a consultation to learn more about Dr. William’s personalized approach to liposuction and body contouring.